I filched this roundup from Shauna.
I'm sipping a craft rootbeer while Matt rubs garlic and spices on a side of beef rib and my sister chops parsnips & sweet potatoes into precise 1/2" slices (my slicing results are deemed too haphazard, I call it rustic). My Granny is upstairs listening to Christmas oldies on the radio, and my Dad is at the hospital visiting my mother as she recovers from surgery.
What? Yeah, not a normal Christmas. My Mum's appendix ruptured sometime last week (maybe Saturday), but with no warning pains, she thought she had food poisoning, and didn't start feeling pain until early Tuesday morning. By Tuesday lunchtime they decided she needed to go to hospital, we got there about 2pm, by 9.30 we were talking to her in the recovery room after an emergency appendectomy. She's recovering well, and will probably be allowed sips or water and weak broth today, and allowed to come home in 2-3 days.
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Bought a block of 20 dance classes and made dancing at least once a week part or my routine. For me, having any regular exercise at least once a week be the bare minimum is a big step up from previous sporadic non-routines, and the fact it's bellydance makes me very happy - I had to overcome considerable fear of jiggling in public to attend, a good friend becoming a teacher was the final key to me signing up for classes.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next this year?
I don't really make New Year's resolutions, but I did make the goal of 2x exercise a week - specifically something that relieved stress, and using re-usable shopping bags more. As above, I managed to make 1x a week the norm, so I can keep building on that this year. I carry a shopping bag clipped to my purse now, and sometimes even remember to take extra with me for bigger hauls of shopping, next up: no buying coffee if I am without my steel coffee mug. This will probably mean I drink fewer lattes, which is also part of the reason for this goal - they're expensive!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
A new-ish friend, Judi, now she's back to work we are meeting most Sundays for a workout DVD.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, but a cousin was diagnosed with lung cancer. Cancer sucks man.
5. What countries did you visit?
Scotland & Germany.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
A completed Master's degree and a full time job. An improved ability to remain in the moment. Emotional stability.
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
July 2nd, left the employ of UCSD, my only professional workplace, and officially left the environment of lab work. I miss lab work, and my groovy coworkers, but not the cadaver-filled basement and performing post-mortems on rats.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Professional: landing my current internship & keeping good grades in my courses.
9. What was your biggest failure?
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Depression, anxiety, panic attacks...and I hurt my foot at some point.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
It's a tossup between the iPhone, and the mini. I'm such a DINKY.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Tuition, mortgage, down payment for car.
13. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
14. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Anything off the new U2 album, and "Stuck In A Moment", which really got to me when we saw them perform at the Rose Bowl in October.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
Both, I'm more certain of my post grad-school future, but still struggling with self image & depression & stuff.
b) thinner or fatter?
Fatter. Damn medications. But fitter. Yay bellydance.
c) richer or poorer? About the same income-wise, Matt got a raise the same time I cut my hours at work, but a bit more of it is committed now we have a car loan & student loans have grown a bit.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Taking care of myself, and focusing on my studies.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worrying. Skin-of-the-tooth approach to school work.
18. How will you spend Christmas?
Typing this while preparing a reduced (from feeding 27-ish to feeding 7) Christmas meal, with Mum in hospital recovering from surgery. Boo. But glad she's on the mend.
19. Did you fall in love in 2009?
With dancing in general, and with having music in my life, and with Matt. Also with this recipe.
20. What was your favorite TV program?
I finally discovered the new Dr Who. Timey Wimey.
21. What was the best book you read?
Rethinking Thin by Gina Kolata.
22. What was your favorite film of this year?
The Men Who Stared At Goats
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 29, we had a beer & pudding party at our house. Selected interesting beers, bread & butter pudding, and Christmas pudding (which got set on fire twice so everyone got to see the show)
24. What kept you sane?
Matt, my friends, cats, bellydance & Effexor XR.
25. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Hmmmm. Can't think of any. Besides the inevitable Hugh Jackman & Eddie Izzard.
26. Who did you miss?
27. Who was the best new person you met?
Peggy, the statistical whiz at my new job.