1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before? Wrote a master's thesis & defended it. "Walked" in an American graduation ceremony. Flamenco danced. Learned to spin yarn with a spindle. Helped brew cider & mead.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I think my only resolutions were to keep up the 1x weekly exercise habit I formed in 2009, attempt to add to it, and to stop using paper cups for coffee purchases. None of these worked out as I'd hoped. Stress and an ill-advised month of flamenco classes wreaked some havoc with my body that I have spent the second half of 2010 struggling with. Nothing permanent, but aches & pains and chronic tension headaches make Rosie a grumpy woman. I was sporadic with the re-useable bags & travel mug, but sporadic use still reduces wastefulness better than not bothering at all.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? No, but a slew of friends (and one cousin) are currently pregnant & will deliver in 2011.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Not in 2010, but my cousin died Jan 3 after over a year battling metastasized lung cancer.
5. What places did you visit? Philadelphia, PA, Washington DC (including Alexandria and Mt Vernon), Williamsport, PA, Oxnard CA (surprisingly cute wee town).
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010? A full time job! Of course I lacked this in 2010 because I was in graduate school with a part time internship, a very good reason.
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? November 11th I handed in my thesis for final formatting. June 12th Matt graduated with his Bachelors degree.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Thesis (detect a theme yet?)
9. What was your biggest failure? Hm. I don't think I really failed at anything, but I struggled with motivation and self-esteem all year.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? The flamenco played merry hell with my knees, I quit after a month and am still feeling it. I tweaked my lower back in October. Nothing that a little time & careful yoga type activity won't heal.
11. What was the best thing you bought? My spindles & loom.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Matt & my lovely friends
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Many politicians.
14. Where did most of your money go? Tuition, the trip to PA, and yarny crafts.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Diarrhea (my thesis topic was Clostridium difficile associated diarrhea).
16. What song will always remind you of 2010? Pass.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Pass
b) thinner or fatter? Pass
c) richer or poorer? Pass
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Walking. Dancing (anything less stampy than flamenco).
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Procrastination.
20. How did you spend Christmas in 2010? With family at Granny's house in Los Angeles and NOBODY IN THE HOSPITAL. (Mum had a ruptured appendix just in time for Christmas 2009).
21. Did you fall in love in 2010? Frequently.
22. What was your favorite TV program? Dr Who. Castle. I also rediscovered the joy of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
23. What did you do for your birthday in 2010? Matt threw me a surprise party for my 30th!
24. What was the best book you read? Cryoburn by Lois McMasters Bujold.
25. What did you want and get? Publishable data for my thesis. Lots of little luxuries like travel, craft supplies and delicious foods.
26. What did you want and not get? My diploma (it will be issued May 2011)
27. What was your favorite film of this year? Coraline.
28. Did you make some new friends this year? Lots of SCA friends are now "real life" friends.
29.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Getting everything submitted in time to ahve my diploma in hand. Having a job lined up, though I am enjoying having some free time while job seeking.
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010? Half my clothes don't fit so I'm going to distract you from my limited wardrobe with this stunning handmade scarf.
31. What kept you sane? Matt. The kitties. Friends. Yarn.
32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Pass.
33. What political issue stirred you the most? Poverty. Healthcare & health disparities.
34. Who did you miss? My family.
35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010. Graduate school is truly rewarding, but you really have to want it, and know why you are there.